Postcard views of Notre Dame

 

This view, looking towards the Main Building and Sacred Heart, shows some of the varied flora and fauna on the Main Quad

Vintage “real photo” postcard from the 1930s.

 

The following description of the Main Quad arboretum is from the superb guide book, Notre Dame, the Official Campus Guide, by Damaine Vonada. It's available in the book section at:  http://www.irishlegends.com/Pages/guidebk.html

THE OLD FIELDHOUSE

Opposing teams called Notre Dame's Old Fieldhouse "The Snakepit." Adolph Rupp, the University of Kentucky's long-time basketball coach, claimed that between the deafening Irish band constantly playing behind his bench and the hundreds of priests stationed in the stands, he could not win there. For a time, some opponents wouldn't even set foot in the Fieldhouse and insisted that Notre Dame play its home games at Chicago Stadium. Little wonder. The Fieldhouse was notorious for the fanatic Notre Dame students who routinely-and raucously-packed its bleachers. By 1968, when the last varsity basketball game was played there, its clamorous crowds had cheered Irish squads to 474 wins and only 91 losses.

It was the house that Morrissey built. Actually, Notre Dame's seventh president built the Fieldhouse not once, but twice. His first Fieldhouse, built in 1898, burned to the ground the next year, and Morrissey immediately ordered a replacement. His second Fieldhouse -a castle-like structure that salvaged its predecessor's cornerstone -was said to be fireproof, and it became a campus landmark that endured for more than 80 years. In addition to basketball, the facility was used for track and field competitions, football and baseball practice, pep rallies, graduations, and untold performances and convocations. Franklin D. Roosevelt, the first incumbent president to travel to Notre Dame, paid a visit there; so did the poet William Butler Yeats and comedian Bob Hope. Even Notre Dame's renowned Collegiate Jazz Festival -which is now the longest-running one in the nation and has attracted performers such as Herbie Hancock and Quincy Jones -was launched at the Fieldhouse in 1959.

When the Joyce Center's modern athletic facilities opened in 1968, the aging Fieldhouse won a reprieve from the wrecking ball when it was turned into a studio for the art department. Fifteen years later, the building was razed, but not before its hardwood basketball floor was carved into hundreds of small pieces that would serve as souvenirs for varsity athletes who had played or practiced there. That well-used floor had been bought with Notre Dame's revenue from the 1925 Rose Bowl, the historic football game in which the famed Four Horsemen appeared together for the last time.

 

 

Back to Irish Legends