Postcard views of Notre Dame

 

Breen-Phillips Hall, University of Notre Dame.

Breen-Phillips Hall, University of Notre Dame.
 

 

The following description of the Breen-Phillips is from the superb guide book, Notre Dame, the Official Campus Guide, by Damaine Vonada. It's available in the book section at:
http://www.irishlegends.com/Pages/guidebk.html

Breen-Phillips Hall

Built in 1939 as a men's dormitory, Breen-Phillips was for most of its history the province of males. Its namesake benefactors were two alumni from Fort Wayne, Indiana, who also happened to be brothers-in-law- attorney William Breen, class of 1877, and banker Frank Phillips, class of 1880. When the cornerstone was laid, mementos from the two men's student days were even sealed inside it. Within a few years of the hall's opening, young naval officers training for duty in World War II were being quartered in its rooms, and Notre Dame's stalwart football coach Frank Leahy would also have an office in the hall.

Now Breen-Phillips is "Banshee" territory, the residence hall of the women undergraduates whose collective nickname comes from the female spirit of Gaelic folklore. It was converted to a women's dormitory in the fall of 1973. The women of Breen-Phillips have since become known for fielding some of Notre Dame's best sports teams and have won interhall championships in soccer, basketball, and football. Every fall, just before the varsity football team's first home game, they also hold their traditional Bathrobe Breakfast by marching from Breen-Phillips to the North Dining Hall in their robes and pajamas. What, do you suppose, would the Messrs. Leahy, Breen, and Phillips have made of that?

Located on the southeast corner of the North Quad, Breen-Phillips was designed in modified collegiate Gothic style by Maginnis and Walsh. It also has a sunken chapel where comfortable floor pillows have been substituted for pews. Pope John Paul II imparted an Apostolic Blessing on Breen-Phillips Hall in 1984.

 

 

 

Back to Irish Legends